Other Education and Outreach Resources
Other Resources - CMI Partners
The U.S. Department of Energy has many outreach materials available. Many of them are "pinned" on the department's Pinterest page.
The Critical Materials Institute national laboratory partners have a variety of outreach materials available.
- The Ames Laboratory offers resources for a variety of students, including K-12, community college, undergraduate, as well as student/faculty internships. The Ames Laboratory worked with PBS producers of NOVA on Making Stuff; the activity guide includes projects with magnets and batteries.
- The Idaho National Laboratory offers university partnerships and educational outreach, as well as K-12 and regional STEM outreach and Science Bowl.
- The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory has a science education program, including Science on Saturday, with summaries available in video on YouTube. LLNL science outreach program also offers a Teacher Research Academy, which is described in this news article.
- The education programs at Oak Ridge National Laboratory include visiting faculty, college students, and K-12 students and teachers.
The Critical Materials Institute university partners offer a variety of outreach programs. A sampling of education and outreach programs at CMI university parters include:
- Brown University offers pre-college programs for students in grades 6-12.
- Colorado School of Mines offers national Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) in the REMRSEC Research Experience. Mines' SPACE program includes professional short courses, teacher enhancement programs and K-12 outreach. Mines has the largest collegiate section of the Society of Women Engineers.
- Iowa State University education and outreach program highlights include the Program for Women in Science and Engineering (PWISE), Chats with Eminent Female Scientists - ChEFS Initiative, and youth programs through OPPTAG and ISEK.
- Center for Biorenewable Chemicals (CBiRC), an NSF Engineering Research center, Research Experience for Teachers (RET), Secondary School Summer Academy
- Institute for Transportation, with Iowa Department of Transportation: Transportation Institute for High School Educators, Engineering Workshop for Elementary Teachers
- FIPR: The Florida Industrial and Phosphate Research Institute offers workshops for teachers of grades K-12.
- Purdue University offers education and outreach programs for youth, including Science Scape and Duke Energy Academy at Purdue.
- Rutgers University offers the TARGET program and 4-H science, engineering and technology (SET) camp.
- University of California-Davis offers enrichment summer camps and partners with other several UC campuses to offer COSMOS for math and science students.
Other Resources - Outside CMI
- National Laboratories
- Professional Organizations
- Minerals Education Coalition
- TMS, The Minerals Metals & Materials Society
- Advanced Materials for our Energy Future booklet (link to download pdf from TMS)
- Highlights from Higher Education
- MatEdU -- National Resource Center for Materials Technology Education
- ATEEC -- Advanced Technology Environmental and Energy Center
- MidKent College, guide to understanding importance of English and maths
- BBC, Skillswise links to English and math information, including links for related games
- Skills Workshop, numeracy resources