CMI Education and Outreach in 2017
Denver metro area seniors visited Colorado School of Mines during National Engineers Week.
In addition to monthly webinars, CMI education and outreach in 2017 includes:
- The CMI museum exhibit will be featured at the Society of Mining Engineers student and professional gathering at the end of April, continuing to take advantage of the museum exhibit assets. An expected 25 undergrad and grad mining students and 25 industry partners will attend the evening event featuring the CMI exhibit.
- Colorado School of Mines delivered a successful National Engineers Week on Feb. 22 that brought more than 60 high school students and and their parents to campus for mentoring and tours of the CMI exhibit at the geology museum. The high school seniors represented more than 38 schools from the Denver Metro area. The event was sponsored by Lockheed Martin and the Critical Materials Institute. Students were engaged in engineering feats, ideas and dialog. They enjoyed a close-up look at the Center for Space Resources, the Geology Museum and the Critical Materials Institute, with hands-on activities and interactive exhibits. During a specially designed mentoring luncheon, Mines President Paul Johnson welcomed the students and parents, then the Lockheed Martin engineers and Mines seniors and graduate students shared their engineering experiences.
- To train and prepare professionals in the field, CMI offered a post doctoral/graduate student professional meeting at Colorado School of Mines, with grad/postdoc presenters from national laboratories and universities, Feb. 9-10
The CMI Winter Meeting at Mines included a poster session to feature research by postdocs and graduate students.
Earlier CMI education and outreach:
People at the CMI Winter Meeting at Mines included program administrators from the U.S. Department of Energy and CMI leaders and researchers from national laboratories, universities and industry.
Examples of other youth education and outreach at CMI partners:
- Ames Laboratory video
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory story
- Idaho National Laboratory link to summary/pictures on Facebook
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory video, story from city of Knoxville, TN
- DiscoverE Girl Day, Feb. 25; Purdue University: Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day, Feb. 27
- National Science Bowl, April 28-May 2:
- Colorado School of Mines: Week-long summer camps for entering grades 3-5, grades 6-8 or high school
- Iowa State University: Youth programs through OPPTAG and ISEK